TIME HACK + HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES + KIDS FUN STUFF
I’ve learned to be prepared for school holidays and wet rainy days to avoid last-minute family discussions that go something like…
Me: “What would you. like to do today?”
Little Peeps: “I don’t know – I’m bored!”
If you’re taking time off to spend with the kids, I’ll share a little secret to surviving school holidays stress-free. The Holiday Activity Lucky Dip. It’s fun, full of variety and all it needs is a little preparation upfront. It’s a great way to avoid the last-minute “what shall we do today kids?” angst.
The little peeps and I did this in the last school holidays, and it worked a treat. So much so that they are asking for it again. The secret is preparing a few things early. If you haven’t, don’t worry, set the little peeps a budget and take them to the nearest discount variety shop, to pick up some things.
Feel free to download my list of activities as a starting point. Caveat: my two little peeps are only two years apart and quite young. My list works well for ages 4-8 years of age. Some activities are Australia specific, however, can be adapted easily for other countries.
What you need
- A small bag or container
- A plastic crate/box to hold activity and craft items for easy access
- A printed list of activity ideas based on the activity and craft items you have available
Some activities may need some preparation in advance. For example, we did “Bunnings Craft”, which meant a trip to Bunnings to select an activity for each little peep and adding it to our activity box. Make sure you keep an eye open for specials on craft and activity kits, or cinema tickets to save a few dollars.
- Print your list of activities and cut them up so there is a single idea on one strip of paper.
- Fold the individual pieces of paper and put them in the bag.
- Each morning or evening, as your little peep/s to choose one thing form the lucky dip bag. The activity they pull out is the activity you do next.
Check out Instagram from more pics or our projects. We also mixed in physical activities such as a
Tips & Hints
- I love to include a few “Surprise Missions”, which can be anything from going for a drive to have a special picnic morning tea, to meeting up with Dad at his local work cafe for a coffee and cuddle.
- Add extra activities just in case you need to do more than one each on a rainy day.
- If you have more than two little peeps, you could share the lucky dip choosing on a rotational basis.
Enjoy and feel free to share your holiday activity ideas or what you include in your Holiday Activity Lucky Dip below in a comment.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment